The colorful, eye-catching 2006 annual permits give a motor vehicle and its occupants access to all 97 state parks and recreation areas throughout 2006. Costs remain the same as last year: $24 for residents and $29 for non-residents. The BAS permit provides access to sites that charge a fee for launching watercraft and are available for $24. MVPs for senior and Bridge Card holders can be purchased only at the parks and recreation areas with required documentation.
"We encourage people who value outdoor recreation to show their support for Michigan's recreation system by purchasing annual MVPs for loved ones and for themselves," said Ron Olson, chief of the parks and recreation division. "These are perfect gifts which also help the DNR protect and preserve these public lands for all to enjoy."
Permits may be purchased on line at http://mi-mall.michigan.gov or in state parks and recreation areas during business hours at the headquarters buildings.
Top Ten reasons why Motor Vehicle Permits make excellent holiday gifts
10) They'll last longer than fruitcake. MVPs are good for all of 2006.
9) One size fits all! Young, young-at-heart, boaters, anglers, campers, swimmers and sand castle builders alike can enjoy getting outdoors.
8) So the kids take their own car to the beach and keep the sand and wet bathing suits out of yours!
7) They give your relatives 97 places to visit other than your house! Send them to a state park or recreation area.
6) Because MVP also can mean "Makes Vacations Possible!"
5) Boaters can join the fun too with an annual BAS permit.
4) The phrase "Peace on Earth" will have new meaning when you experience the tranquility and scenery at state parks and recreation areas.
3) Skip the wrapping paper! Order your MVP online at the Michigan E-Store and receive a free DNR gift card. (Applies to purchases made at http://mi-mall.michigan.gov through Dec. 19, 2005 only or while supplies last.)
2) It's the cheapest health club membership around. For just $24 ($29 if your vehicle is registered in another state) you can gain access to places to walk, bike, swim and run. Start your New Year's Resolution early!
1) The gift that keeps on giving - for today and for future generations. MVP purchases provide important financial support for maintaining Michigan's "Most Valuable Places" and the recreation opportunities provided. The DNR Parks and Recreation Division is funded primarily from fees paid by users and receives no general tax funding.
The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.