We hope you are enjoying the wonderful weather outside. The trails are in great shape and we hope to see you out and about. We recently celebrated a successful Smart Commute Week and thought we should share some of the impressive stats:
- 991 commuters attended the free breakfasts, a 35% increase from last year.
- 461 commuter cup team members participated on 36 different teams and together prevented 19,000 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions during the 4-day period.
- 1387 riders took BATA on Try Transit Day, 21% increase over last year.
- NMRide.net saw a 20% boost in carpool database sign-ups during the event.
- Over 200 participants attended an Alternative Transportation Expo in downtown Traverse City that featured information and exhibits about sustainable and alternative transportation options that are available locally. See pictures of the expo here, http://www.traversetrails.org/events/smartcommute/expo/
- The Hagerty Cycling team completed a 24-hour challenge by riding stationary bikes the equivalent distance from Traverse City to Toronto, Canada.
Consider smart commuting throughout the summer and to activities like the Cherry Festival, Friday Night Live or take the trail with your family for dinner at one of the many restaurants along the trails! Keep up the commuting! For more info about Smart Commute Week, go to http://www.smartcommutetc.org
Also, there are several upcoming events to take note of. Mark your calendars and join in the fun…Critical Mass Community Bike Ride
Friday June 27 at 5:30pm at the "Open Space" Downtown
Join your neighbors and friends on a group bike ride through Traverse City. Feel the joy at zero gallons per mile.
- Human Powered Transportation
- Celebrate Community
- Increase Bike Awareness
- Fun for the Entire Family
For more information, please go to http://TraverseAlive.com
Cherry TART Tour (A National Cherry Festival event)
Friday July 11 from 7:00 am- Noon
On Friday July 11, 2008 spend the morning taking in the splendor of Grand Traverse and Leelanau Counties by touring the Traverse Area Recreation and Transportation (TART) Trails. The second annual Cherry TART Tour offers family-oriented cycle enthusiasts the opportunity to ride one or all three of the TART Trails. Riders can park at the Station Espresso Bar (Eighth & Woodmere) and begin touring the Leelanau, Boardman and the TART Trails.
Tickets can be purchased online or at the Festival office at 250 East Front Street in Traverse City. Each participant will receive redemption package including an official Cherry Festival "Best Checks" Coupon Book, coupons for “goodies” along the trail and a commemorative water bottle. A bicycle mechanic and bicycle rental will be available from Brick Wheels of Traverse City, MI.
At the end of the morning, return to the Eurostyle Italian~inspired Deli & Café for lunch on us! Registration will be available up to the day of the event.
The tour begins at 8:00AM. Riders can return for lunch beginning at 12:30PM until 2:30PM. A portion of the ticket cost will be donated to TART Trails. For more information, please go to http://www.cherryfestival.org/events/search_detail.php?event_id=302
Tour de TART
Friday August 8...more details to com...
Thanks for your continued interest in TART Trails,
Missy Luyk, Trail Program Specialist
TART Trails, Inc.
Office: 232 E. Front Street in downtown Traverse City
Mail: PO Box 252, Traverse City, MI 49685