FREE NORDIC WALKING CLINICS – Are coming to DIABETES OPEN HOUSE at the Bayview Wesleyan Church, Traverse City, Michigan from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. on Wednesday, April 9th, 2008.
The DIABETES OPEN HOUSE will feature exhibits of the latest diabetes products, educational materials and up-to-date information to help with blood sugar control.
Exercise is a key to diabetes control! Are you walking at least a half-hour each day?
Pete Edwards – owner/founder/coach of The American Nordic Walking System and SKIWALKING.COM Nordic Walking Poles, will host free Nordic Walking clinics. Walking with poles provides a more effective workout than regular walking – basically turbo charging the average walking campaign. Walking with poles can burn up to 40% more calories than regular walking!
Nordic Walking’s unique 4-Wheel Drive Action burns more calories and provides additional balance and stability. Even folks with MS, Parkinson’s, Neuropathy and other balance issues have found the added stability of Nordic Walking Poles allows them to successfully walk further, faster and much more comfortably.
Nordic Ski Walking is the fastest growing fitness activity in Europe! Over 6 million Europeans are walking with special Nordic Ski Walking fitness poles everyday - NO snow and NO skis required. Walking with the perfect length poles and with correct technique provides a more effective aerobic workout than walking without poles.
The FREE Nordic Walking Clinics will include an introduction to Nordic Walking, safety tips and an opportunity to demo real Nordic Walking poles – complete with removable rubber tips and patented comfortable straps (kind of like fingerless gloves). Edwards claims that one-piece poles custom fit to each individual’s height are safer, lighter and much more durable than twist-locking adjustable/telescoping/collapsible poles.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, increased physical activity can help prevent risk factors for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity and some forms of cancer.
According to the Physical Activity and Health Report by the Surgeon General, moderate regular exercise has been found to be associated with decreased risk of cardiovascular diseases, some forms of cancer, and non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
NORDIC SKI WALKING FUN FACTS – Walking, Hiking & Trekking With Poles:
- Walking with poles radically reduces the stress to the shins, knees, hips and back – and provides an effective aerobic workout.
- Ski Walking is kind of like cross-country skiing, but NO skis & NO snow required.
- Nordic Ski Walking poles are modified hiking poles. Poles from The American Nordic Walking System and SKIWALKING.COM are custom made in Lillehammer, Norway and come with patented comfortable straps, durable carbide tips for off-road and removable rubber tips for use on hard surfaces (indoor or outdoor on pavement).
- Nordic Walking is the fastest growing fitness activity in Europe. Over 6 million Europeans are Nordic Walking – in the cities, in the country and in the mountains.
- Unlike walking, running and biking, Nordic Ski Walking works the arms, shoulders and abs – providing a more effective workout. Providing a full body workout.
- Nordic Ski Walking provides all the low impact benefits of walking, while reducing knee and joint strain, burning more calories, working the upper body, increasing oxygen consumption and providing a more effective aerobic workout.
- Nordic Ski Walking Poles are ideal for ALL ages and ALL fitness levels – athletes, seniors and even folks with balance issues (including MS, Parkinson’s and Neuropathy).
- Nordic Ski Walking produces up to a 46% increase in energy consumption (Cooper Institute, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sports 2002 publication).
- Walking poles have been used at the University of Wisconsin in the rehabilitation of patients after myocardial infarction (MI). In the MI study, the oxygen uptake increased on average 21% compared to walking without poles.
For more information contact: Pete Edwards – owner/founder/coach of The American Nordic Walking System and WWW.SKIWALKING.COM – based in Glen Arbor, Michigan