Skip navigation
www.forbushcorner.com

Birkie announces three scenarios

Tue, Feb  21, 2017 - By Birkie

2.21.17 (12:30pm) – EVENT UPDATE!  With unseasonable weather again today, the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation (ABSF) has announced that Birkie Week events previously scheduled for Friday, February 24 have been moved to Saturday, February 25.  These events include the Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races.  In addition, ABSF officials have determined there are three possible scenarios for Saturday, February 25 events.

  • Scenario #1 – With some snow remaining on the trails from the American Birkebeiner Trailhead to the OO Trailhead (at Highway OO), Birkie staff are monitoring trail conditions. With hopes of measurable snow on Friday, there is a very slim chance that a one-way, timed race could be held (American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races).
  • Scenario #2 – If there is enough snow and conditions are such that 10,000 plus participants can safely ski, however unsafe for a competitive race, there is a possibility of an untimed, open-track, looped-event on the Birkie Trail (north of OO) for the American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet and Prince Haakon events.
  • Scenario #3 – If snow is unavailable, 2017 will be a Birkie, Korte & Prince Haakon like none other. Participants will be part of a first-ever winter Birkie run and street party celebration in downtown Hayward.  Live music, Birkie Brew-Ski, food vendors, and a festival atmosphere!

As always, the safety of our participants is first and foremost in our minds, followed by our goal of creating the best possible participant experience for all.  Both things are weighed and considered with each and every decision we make.  Once final decisions are made, you’ll be the first to know.  Keep checking back for updates!