Skip navigation

Potential options announced for low snow at Nationals

Wed, Dec  16, 2015 - By US Nationals

December 15, 2015 – Houghton is more than challenged by El Nino and until this morning (Dec 15), there was no snow on the ground and it has been too warm for man-made snow. However, we now have some base to work with and the current forecast has some promise for the future. We have been communicating with USSA/Park City regarding viable options. We will have a final decision on Tuesday, December 22 Here are the options under consideration for the Jan. 3-9, 2016 events:

Plan A – It snows significantly and everything goes as planned

Plan B – We maintain our base and have less significant snowfall and farm the snow to cover our low snow course 2.5K and sprint loops

Plan C – If it is cold enough to make snow at the local alpine area (Mt. Ripley), we will move there (approximately three miles from the trails) and groom a course at the base of the hill. (It has to be below 22 degrees F to make snow effectively.)

Plan D – Move to somewhere else in the Central that is a better alternative to each of the above.

Plan E  Another viable option not yet known

We thank you in advance for your patience and willingness to wait for an official announcement before changing plans to your “best guess for alternative sites.” Doing so would make an otherwise viable site a non-option if we cannot secure lodging for USSA’s travel party, race officials, and necessary race organization staff.

We hope to see you all soon here in a snowy Houghton.

US Cross Country Ski Nationals

US Cross Country Chmpionships Race Days:

  • Sunday, Jan. 3 - 10/15k Classic Individual Start
  • Monday, Jan. 4 - Freestyle Sprint
  • Thursday, Jan. 7 - 20/30k Free Mass Start
  • Saturday, Jan. 9 - Classic Sprint