November 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26, 2005
West Yellowstone, Montana
The mountains around West Yellowstone are white and we are expecting snow in town tonight(!) – looks like it might be time to ski soon! You have to love winter to live in West Yellowstone and our winter begins with the Yellowstone Ski Festival. This year the Yellowstone Ski Festival dates are November 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26, 2005.
Here are a few Yellowstone Ski Festival updates and announcements:
1) Welcome Beth Heiden! We are excited to announce that that Beth Heiden, one of the most prolific athletes in US history, will be in West Yellowstone for the Ski Festival and will our featured speaker at 8:30 PM, Friday, November 25 at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. Beth’s success as a speed skater (1979 World All-around Champion, a Bronze medal in the 3000m in the 1980 Olympics), cyclist (1980 World Road Championship in Sallanches, France) and cross country skiing (1983 NCAA Champion for the University of Vermont) means that she’s had experiences from which we can all learn. Please help us welcome Beth Heiden to West Yellowstone!
2) Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot: The Turkey Trot will take place at 1:30 PM on Thanksgiving Day. It will start at the Rendezvous Ski Trailhead building, wind through town and finish at the West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce Visitor’s Center. Total distance is just over 2 miles. This is a FREE fun run – even more exercise to help work up an appetite before Thanksgiving Dinner! And we can’t wait to see Yellowstone Avenue full of Nordic skiers on vacation.
3) Attention all Coaches! As we look ahead to this year’s event, we’d like to ask all of the coaches that are bringing teams to West Yellowstone to train to please keep other trail users in mind when you are working with your team. Please do your best to keep trail intersections clear. Also, remember, the farther out you ski on the trail system, the less congestion you are likely to encounter. Please help us make the Ski Festival enjoyable for everyone!
4) Can you say “Terrain Park”? West Yellowstone’s own Doug Edgerton, with the help and advice of Fischer’s Tor Brown, has worked incredibly hard to develop a new terrain park just a few meters away from the new Rendezvous Trailhead Building. A little air, anyone?
5) Supertour Participants: Fans of Nordic ski racing, need to plan on being in West Yellowstone to watch the XC Supertour Races. Sponsored locally by the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort (800-646-7365), West Yellowstone’s Supertour races will be held on November 25th and 26th, 2005. Amongst the many participants expected to race are Kris Freeman, Andy Newell, Torin Koos, Andrew Johnson, Lars Flora, Dave Chamberlain, Leif Zimmerman, Chad Giese, James Southam, Chris Cook, Justin Freeman, Zack Simons, Ivan Babikov, Karin Camenisch, Rebecca Dussault, Wendy Wagner, Lindsay Williams, Lindsey Weier and Abi Larson. How’s that for an impressive lineup?
For more information, visit www.yellowstoneskifestival.com or contact:
Jamie Greene, Yellowstone Ski Festival Coordinator
The West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 458
West Yellowstone, MT 59758
Start and end your ski season in West Yellowstone, Montana!
It’s not too early to register for the 2006 Yellowstone Rendezvous Race – visit www.rendezvousrace.com