Here is the situation as of 5:00 PM, Sunday, November 18: There is still no significant snow on the Rendezvous Ski Trails but the forecast looks better than it has in a long time. Our groomer will asses the snow situation in town and on the plateau early tomorrow morning and will groom what he can. HEADS UP: The road to the plateau is a sloppy, icy mess and US Forest Service Law Enforcement personnel called me this afternoon because they received several complaints today about people driving too fast. For your safety and the safety of others, please slow down! One other thing for those of you headed to the plateau: please do not park in the area near the second gate. Instead, use this area as a drop zone and turnaround and park down the road.
The weather forecast for West Yellowstone (zip code 59758) reads as follows:
The inconvenient truth about the Super Tour races:
- Sunday Night: Windy with rain and snow showers. Low 28F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precip 40%.
- Monday: Windy with snow showers evolving to a steady snow. High 36F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 80%. 2 to 4 inches of snow expected.
- Monday night: Cloudy with snow. Low around 15F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph. Snow accumulating 4 to 6 inches.
- Tuesday: Periods of snow. Cold. High 23F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Significant snow accumulation possible.
- Wednesday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 20s and lows 2 to -2F.
- Thursday: Considerable cloudiness. Highs in the mid 20s and lows in the low single digits.
As of now, we are planning on holding the Super Tour races. The organizing committee will meet Tuesday morning, November 20th and make a decision as to whether or not we will proceed with or cancel the races. The committee's decision will be posted on this web page by approximately 12:00 noon, MST, Tuesday, November 20th.The Fall Camp Nordic Ski Clinic Update:
The 5 day clinic will proceed as planned for those interested in participating. Although snow conditions are currently marginal, there are coaches in West Yellowstone ready to teach. Additionally, the current forecast looks good. The on snow portion of the clinics will take place on the plateau unless we get snow here in town. A decision as to whether we will hold the 3 day clinics will be made by approximately 12:00 noon, MST, Tuesday, November 20th. If you have questions, please call Drew Barney at 406-646-9379.The Indoor Ski Show:
All of the ski manufacturers have committed to displaying at the Indoor Ski Show on both Tuesday and Wednesday night. We expect to present a full schedule of wax clinics, films and other entertainment. You can also expect the manufacturers to demo boots on the plateau Wednesday morning if we aren't skiing on the ski trails in town.
For a report that is updated twice a day, visit www.yellowstoneskifestival.com