Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Michigan Cup Forum
 Timing for Lakes of the North ski race?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Curt Peterson

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  11:02:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year the Lakes of the North ski race in Dec. was held with no timing taking place. We used the old running race placings system of handing out placement (no times) sticks at the end of the race. So only placings were recorded. A question has come up about whether we could or should have timing which most likely will cost money. Last year the race was held in some really tough conditions as the huge amount of snow that had fallen in 2 days before the race was not packed down to anywhere close to pristine conditions. Lakes of the North had also lost power for most of the 2 days before the race event. The entry fee was $10 for adults and $5 for juniors and a free lunch (costing Vasa ski club $12/PP) was provided. So the question is would you as ski racers support a higher entry fee (say $15) to support timing? The race is to be held this year on Sat. Dec 21st at Lakes of the North just east of Mancelona. We did have many favorable comments on the low cost of the race but will listen to what racers want. Suggestions are encouraged.

Thanks-Curt

Curt Peterson

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2013 :  4:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction: Last year the race entry fee was $15 for seniors and $10 for juniors. We paid Lakes of the North $12 PP for the lunch and the final reconciliation showed a profit of about $40. Our goal was to only break even. We did not want to make money on this race. There were about 85 entrants. But again the question is do we pay for timing which will most likely mean a higher entry fee.

We kind of prided ourselves on the lowest cost entry fee for a Michigan Cup race. Plus we had one of a kind Michigan Cup beverage coasters as awards. (not exactly like getting one of those envelopes in the old days from Garland) but still an original Michigan Cup coaster.

So is there a way to do timing without any added cost? Suggestions are encouraged.

Regards,
Curt
Go to Top of Page

telewhacker

Bulgaria
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2013 :  11:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it cheap. I have a watch if I want my time.
Go to Top of Page

DanMo

USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2013 :  10:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit DanMo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Curt,

This may be a cheap option - http://racesplitter.com/

It's only $34.99 for the app, all you need is an Ipad(Iphone) and you are off and racing. You wouldn't have to charge more and you could provide some fancy timing.

They use this at the Run the Keweenaw races and it seems pretty good for smaller low key events.

Ive never used it but the video makes it look cool.

Good luck...Dan Motowski
Go to Top of Page

Curt Peterson

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2013 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dan, we will look into this.
Go to Top of Page

timg

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2013 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curt:
Your race was fine as is don't change a thing. I personally won't do a race if it is more than $25. I also have a problem with higher day of fees when a lot of races don't return entry money if the race is cancelled.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000