Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Michigan Cup Forum
 Add "handling" sections to courses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffOYB

USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2013 :  3:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there any sense that our Michigan race courses are a bit too easy, that they reward pure power and flat-out speed more than handling or nimble skill?

Many mtbike races have sections of singletrack that let those with more skill make up ground on the those who got ahead on power alone.

Sections that reward handling skill don't have to be very difficult and they can be set with any equipment at any width -- just make the course twist and wind a lot more in a particular section and have it go up and down a sidehill/sideslope area, maybe give it an offcamber turn or two. Of course, the narrower you're willing/able to set the more "color" a course can have.

Even some road bike races (often) and running races (occasionally) will throw in sections that require more skill and give athletes with different skillsets a chance to shine.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com

dirtkahuna

USA
75 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit dirtkahuna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Forbush Corners race required a lot of technical skills, especially in the first 1/3. It's been a while since we had to twist and turn so much, often at considerable speed. I also believe I hit my maximum speed of the year out there on the "Back 40" section!
Go to Top of Page

JeffOYB

USA
181 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2013 :  11:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, was the technical aspect fun? A plus in your view?

What about the higher high speed?

Now, there are different kinds of technical -- some add adrenalin and danger to the mix and not everybody likes that.

Cyclocross seems to have slower speed trickiness required. Mtbiking seems like it might, more often, have the "whoa, I'm going way too fast" feel and a different skillset. I could see XC skiing being laid out to give scary challenge -- and not always being more alluring for it.

These differences might seem subtle but they're major differences in cycling attraction so maybe skiing should attend to them. I don't know the right terms for them. Maybe highspeed-technical and lowspeed-technical are good enough for now. "Lowspeed-technical" doesn't seem like it would be much fun but maybe like with cyclocross you would need to experience it to "get it."

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000