Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 General Forum
 C'mon, the Potto Raid needs a Nordie!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffOYB

USA
181 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  5:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many MI XC ski races are EPIC? (None?)

Actually, we've had one for almost 10 years. The Potto Raid. It's in mid-January.

We've only had two Nordic skiers try it. Both did well.

We need more!

I note that the Raid tends to happen on the Sunday after the Frosty Freestyle. Last year we had a GLORIOUS Raid while...the MI Cup was a classic on a 1/2 golf-course loop. C'mon, wouldn't anyone rather have a super ski challenge instead?

The Potto Raid has it ALL. It has power sections, climbs, downhills, and lots of technical. WAY more technical than ANY other XC race I've EVER heard of. Anyone ready for something new? "Epic" is becoming popular in other outdoor sports. Is Nordic ready?

Here's an epic you can do in 3 hrs.

All I recommend is that you pre-ski it, or, say, half of it, to get a feel. You may want to try an early portion on midlength skis so you can see what you think (do a hill over and over until you get comfy) then maybe give it a try on race skis, if you dare. Rock skis, hint hint, unless there's a solid base plus.

We've had up to 25 mt-bikers show up to accept the challenge. It's actually just plain SAD that only 2 Nordic skiers have dared.

Also, if you have skilz but aren't getting the big results at the groomed hammerfests, this might be a race you can win!

No one has cracked 3 hrs at the Raid. Can you? (It's "only" 18 miles or so.)

...And there are good prizes.

Yeah, the fun doesn't stop with the race. Mtbikers know how to post-race. There's a bonfire, a sled hill, picnic table, and a potluck with brewskies. (One of our regulars just welded up a special portable bonfire sled-stove for the occasion.)

PS: I'll post a date and a rain-date when I know more. To make ungroomed events work like a charm all ya need is 2 dates, just in case.

PPS: Oh, and it's free. And there's loud music.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com

Edited by - JeffOYB on Nov 28 2012 08:25:57 AM

rbladel

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  6:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe some would consider it if we had more information. I have read reports of the races in the past, always after the fact, but exactly where, what, and when it is has always been something of a mystery.

I'll be in the UP then, however.
Go to Top of Page

JeffOYB

USA
181 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  08:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I post specifics here well in advance. (Well, sometimes I might forget. I note that I've had ZERO encouragement from the ski scene, so if it's occasionally short notice I hope it's understandable.) Details are also typically on my OYB site, my OYB FB, and at the MMBA.org Forums. I suppose the MMBA Forums have been the most reliable place for info, as it's -- bizarrely enough -- mtbikers who are mostly involved with this Most Intense Nordic Event in the state. (...And which is free of charge.) Then again, it's no secret who's involved. :) Anyone can email me. It's actually a pro event. It's had an e-flier put out probably for all 9 years (9?) with all specifics. (RadNord, the host, organized PottoFest for decades -- 100 would show for that. Also involved is Jason Jones, ex-MMBA prez and org of the PotoSSWC's.) If there are changes (rain date) then that gets notified in advance as well. It's smart to check the likely web-spots a day or two in advance if the weather is at all shaky which it usually is for many of MI events. Anyway, there's a race banner, good prizes, music -- totally pro! If anyone has any questions, a little digging would do the trick. Remember, all we need is ONE Nordic skier! :) Of course, more would be nice. Really, no reason not to expect dozens.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
Go to Top of Page

rbladel

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  1:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not a mountain biker. Not everyone is. Guess that's why you get all mountain bikers.
Go to Top of Page

JeffOYB

USA
181 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  11:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I said, I've posted race PR and dates in advance in Nordic forums as well, for years.

I doubt that additionally posting the info at MMBA is why we only get Mtbikers.

I think it's more that bikers like challenging skiing more than skiers do. Yeah, it's weird. But grooming addiction does that.

The Raid is a natural challenge for skiers to show the bikers how to ski that trail!

(I've been issuing this challenge as well, for years. Except for Melzar the skiers have refused to ski. Apparently they'd rather go 'round and 'round a flat smooth lane.)

Who can beat 3 hrs? It's only 18 miles. Should be a cinch!

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000