Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 General Forum
 CX < > XC !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffOYB

USA
181 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  5:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a report of mine on how CX biking is like XC skiing!

http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=1985

The short version is that CX (cyclocross) has similarly tasty flow to technical Nordic skiing. And in general getting the CX technique down is satisfying like "getting it" with XC technique: something that seems tricky and hard but which becomes easy after you have the break-thru.

Also, I note that Mike Seaman is the only XC racer who I see out there on the CX circuit, but I've only done a few events. There must be others!

To extend the metaphor further, you might say that wide-open groomed trail skiing is like road biking.

Rollerskiing is great training for skiing, but CX lets you keep your intensity up thru Nov/Dec as we prep for snow. It might be that even skiers can find themselves a bit at a loss for how to have fun outdoors during our bleak/grey/cold/rainy/slushy months. CX can help!

One neat thing is that it seems like it's always a Blue Wax day when I'm CX'ing.

Somehow CX seems more like Nordic to me than Mt-biking does. CX is LIGHTER-weight than mt-biking, with less support -- so it's more like how Nordic has such light gear and can be so nimble. (Maybe mtbiking is more like bc/tele skiing; DH-biking like DH-skiing.)

Oh, and the CX Worlds are in Louisville this Feb, but we will hopefully be busy otherwise then.

BTW, if you have a Touring Bike or any road-bike with clearances you can do CX -- just get some CX tires.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000