Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Michigan Cup Forum
 Skiathlom: potential to save the day?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JeffOYB

USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffOYB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
C'mon, this seems like it might work.

Instead of canceling XC races when there's no/low snow, why not shape-shift and work with the alpine areas to create XC events there? A course doesn't have to take up THAT much slope-space. It's probably not too hard to flag a 1km route thru an alpine area without getting in everyone's way and while including a buncha fun features and challenges.

Skiathlom does better with allrounder midlength skis perhaps -- cool.

Any potential?

Lots better spectating and R&R. A little urban vibe might be a fun change of pace.

And it's not for events only. It could be a way to ski and have fun -- go up'n'down the bunny slopes, rig up a course to challenge turning skills, add a few little jumps, some nifty terrain. Some kinds of XC skiers might dig it. Keep it doable on touring gear, say.

Ride the lifts when you don't want to ski up -- tho I suppose that's ridiculously CHILLING. (Bring a backpack and a jacket to stuff in it?) Resorts probably won't want to deal with any cutrate pricing just because XCers ski back up the hill instead of riding the lifts. So who cares -- if you have a job, why worry. OK, even as a Junior I couldn't afford lift tickets but there's usually a solution (like doing some work at the resort). The alpine demographic isn't and wasn't mine, but THEY HAVE THE SNOW AND THE PEOPLE AND A VARIETY OF TERRAIN. What more do we need? Lonely trails and big miles are sweet but they don't have to be the only game in town. Maybe jibskate would grow a bit more.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com

Edited by - JeffOYB on Jan 09 2012 11:37:48 AM

Ray Drysdale

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  9:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, while I do (somewhat) cow-tow to the alpine crowd (in to my 42nd year as an alpine National Ski Patroller (32 as a nordic patroller)), I too go where there is snow. Every duty day, I spend over an hour xc skiing, at the alpine area I work. Mostly skating back and forth at the bottom, but I have been known to create some tracks for classic. When we have conditions like we have had so far this season, its the only game in town. Ray Drysdale
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000