Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Michigan Cup Forum
 ski race and festival in October in TC??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Curt Peterson

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  9:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your team captains have mostly voted on saying "NO" to a Michigan Cup race late in October on artifical snow in Traverse City organized by Eli Brown. This was done last year and the course is on snow from the local ice arenas. It would be a short very short sprint race. The goal was to have a weekend of nordic activities including the sprint race, roller skiing, clinics with national speakers, large ski swap, and party. An alternative option was for limited Mi cup points but again a majority of captains voted no for you.

So I say this...... we (Michigan Cup) have turned into a bunch of old curmudgeons who are so afraid of trying something new. We are afraid of how this or that race might affect our or our teams points capabilities. We have lost sight of the overall skiing community and how to interest new skiers and young skiers and promote the sport. This was a great opportunity to attract attention to Michigan Cup (first ski race in the nation with TV and radio coverage and newspaper). It would have been a sparkplug for getting our teams energized for the new ski season.

I also say this....... shame on you team captains who voted no. I have lost faith in our organization and a number of our team leaders. You are only thinking of yourselves. Again shame on you.

Curt Peterson

telewhacker

Bulgaria
67 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  11:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michigan Cup Race? No.

But if they have the race and I am not committed to a cyclocross race somewhere I am there.

I suspect that the top end of the Mich Cup will be there too.
Go to Top of Page

canamer

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  1:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a biased opinion (sprints are my specialty) I agree with Curt. If it's a Michigan Cup race, I am more motivated to attend. The selling point for the MI Cuppers would be partially the race, but also the other activities that would be of interest in conjunction with the festival. I'm not so sure there was enough emphasis on the other festival activities as a point of interest for the Michigan Cup racers when polled to approve this event. There are longer distance skate races +10km(my weakness) that I dread to attend, but the opportunity to improve my skating stamina and hang out with the skiing community is my motivation. It's not just about the racing (at least not for me).

Yvon
Go to Top of Page

jthardin

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  9:49:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well Curt, after polling my team mates and waiting for replies to come in 6 did not want the race to be MI Cup at all; 10 wanted it to be sanctioned by MI cup but not count as points; and 1 wanted it counted. It is a very cool event that we can all urge skiers of all abilities and interests to attend. The skiing on ice rink ice/roller skiing/speakers/clinics/ski swaps etc make for a unique event for TC and Michigan. Sounds like those team captains that voted no to mi cup points , did so after hearing from their team mates. Not sure if we are waiting until August to finalize or not. What ever the outcome of the Mi Cup point issue, it should be a great weekend for those that want to participate or watch or learn.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000