Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 General Forum
 Any suggested overnight loop in Lower P?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDS

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  5:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd greatly appreciate any route su?ggestions for a 2-3 night ski-camping tour in snow belt area of LOWER P.

Ideally 15-20 miles of groomed trails in a loop with legal bivouacking & as many hills as possible.

I don't mind snow mobile trails, but would much like to avoid the smobile super-highways if at all possible.....

Needn't be wilderness, but must have legal and available overnight parking. Specific campsites are mostly unimportant. Wouldn't mind a couple of miles of road walks if needed to make a loop route.

telewhacker

Bulgaria
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  11:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be hard pressed to find a groomed loop that big.
But Hoist Lakes is often pretty well skied in that is about 21 miles long.
The Jordan River pathway is also about 20 miles around (Extremely hilly!)
You could bite off part of the High Country Pathway/Shingle Mill Trail system. You could use the North Country Trail to connect Muncie Lakes and Sand Lake Trails.

quote:
Originally posted by JDS

I'd greatly appreciate any route su?ggestions for a 2-3 night ski-camping tour in snow belt area of LOWER P.

Ideally 15-20 miles of groomed trails in a loop with legal bivouacking & as many hills as possible.

I don't mind snow mobile trails, but would much like to avoid the smobile super-highways if at all possible.....

Needn't be wilderness, but must have legal and available overnight parking. Specific campsites are mostly unimportant. Wouldn't mind a couple of miles of road walks if needed to make a loop route.

Go to Top of Page

JDS

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  5:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are eye-opening suggestions. Have already begun some digging based on your suggestion. THANKS!

Had also started looking at "Big M" area. There seem to be some "snowshoe trails" that run off of this system & that might add enough for adequately (un)ambitious milage. Don't know what their condition may be.

Area has slight virtue of being a bit closer to Lansing area & less driving time than more northerly destinations.

Am wondering if the overnight backpack & overnight parking would cause a fuss at Big M trailhead...(like, "you aren't allowed to... etc).
Go to Top of Page

robm

2 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  2:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check pigeonrivercountryforest.org for maps and info about Shingle Mill and High Country Pathways
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000