Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forums
 Michigan Cup Forum
 What, no 50K classic Vasa?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbladel

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2009 :  11:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm disappointed there is no 50K classic Vasa this year, and steamed that they didn't even think to mention or explain it in their brochure or website. Well, maybe I can find another that weekend, like the Mora Vasa. . . . I know the field was small, but it was attracting more and more accomplished skiers, like Mommarts and Harrington.

mmuha

USA
313 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  4:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit mmuha's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! I totally missed that! I wonder why they dropped it?

Fortunately, the White Pine will still have a classic marathon.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Curt Peterson

USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  6:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy of boy..... Shame on the Vasa for not including the 50km classic, and without even bringing it up to Michigan Cup representatives. They have really dropped the ball with this one. While I have personally never done the 50km classic at the Vasa I feel badly for skiers who have and were interested in doing so. This is a slap in the face for classic skiers.

Randy, on the bright side you can sleep in an extra hour and start with the freestylers. You would have to make sure that the entire course is tracked though.

Regards Curt Peterson
Go to Top of Page

runfasta

28 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  6:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could be the reason... http://www.vasa.org/race_results.php?year=2009&race=50k+classic.txt Not enough takers for the time & effort needed to lay down the course? What about making Saturday an all skate race50/27K while Sunday offers both a 50K classic, 27K classic and possibly a shorter verision? This would allow each camp to have the trails all their own, no skaters messing up the tracks and wider skate lanes. Also, most organizations won't draw attention to something negative they'd just rather deal with the fallout, maybe if enough write them or state their desire for the on the survey they would reconsider.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

rbladel

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  9:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Vasa was one of the first larger races to solve the problem of the skaters ruining the classic tracks, by giving the classic race an earlier start. Not a perfect solution on their Figure 8 course, but not bad.

Incidentally, Marty Hall claims to have made this suggestion to the Birkie many years ago, but it was the Vasa, Noque, and others that tried it, with mostly positive results.

The White Pine, however, has never followed the lead.

Randy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000