Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Forums
 General Forum
 Try this revolutionary new Classic technique!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JeffOYB Posted - Jan 03 2012 : 5:04:03 PM
I'm doing some intense research right now on this and would really like some feedback.

So: does anyone have snow?

If you do, the next time you go out to ski, whether it'll be skate or classic, grab a pair of classic skis and give this revolutionary new ski technique a try!

It's the first new ski technique in decades. Fun!

It's a new gear for classic and it's also a way to "skate" with classic skis in set-tracks.

It's the Cat1 and its relative the Cat1A or Striding Doublepole.

As you may recall, I've been posting about it for awhile now here'n'there.

Well, we need more feedback. An official with the PSIA has expressed intro interest, but, like so many, needs to get enough snow to try it out. Dale Niggemann, of Wisconsin, who invented the CATSKI uses it for skiing, racing, and for training/teaching.

It's easy to do and you've probably either done it or come close to doing it, but it's time to take a closer look and see what you think.

The videos at Dale's CATSKI blog show it clearly. http://catskier.blogspot.com/2008/12/start-of-new-blog-and-new-catskicross.html

I also have some videos at YouTube which show the Striding Doublepole / Cat1A version. http://youtu.be/bLR-Cg4Y1sI

The Cat1 version is done just like V1 only you do it in the tracks. Try it! It's fun. You can use skating poles.

The Cat1A is like Open Field skating, only, again, in tracks.

If you don't have grooming for skating, Dale has found both moves to be dandy for skate-training. ...He's also used them to win 2 classic races.

But they're still in testing!

I tested it a fair bit during our bit of skiable snow we had a week or so ago. I skied up two different 30-second hills a dozen times at 70% effort -- a moderate one and a steep one. Basically the Cat moves were fastest by a couple seconds.

Of course the testing isn't only about race speed. It's mostly to get to understand the techniques better. When they're best to use, when they're the most fun.

I find them to be great and stable in unstable conditions, for instance. I also find them to be just plain fun.

Thanks! --JP

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000