Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Forums
 Michigan Cup Forum
 How was the Vasa? Seemed like a small field...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JeffOYB Posted - Feb 14 2009 : 10:14:29 PM
How was the snow, the trail?

It looks like folks had good fast races.

But the field seemed small on the results sheet. Is the race getting smaller these days? Reasons why? I know it's no longer part of some big national series but sheesh wouldn't it still pull everyone from within a few hundred miles?

--JP

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
devils son in law Posted - Feb 15 2009 : 9:20:22 PM
I think Jeff may be on track on drawing more people, unfortunately other than a "ladies tour" or two there is only the races. I think a few more tours could only help the sport thrive. Getting families out with the wife and kids, a snack or two along the way and everyone's having fun again, kids get hooked. Traverse City seems to be drawing alot of younger racers, they're doing something right over there.
telewhacker Posted - Feb 15 2009 : 7:03:45 PM
Lots of people are missing from the active.com results page.

I think the Lumberjack caps at 250-300 racers
JeffOYB Posted - Feb 15 2009 : 4:54:13 PM
450 is pretty good!

I didn't notice hardly many out of staters, though. The US marathon series folks missed out! ...Unless there isn't a big race for the overall this year?

Ah, I didn't look at the 12k. That must be where the people are.

There was hardly more than one screen of results for each 50k, so I read it as "small field".

Each of the 27k results screens seem to only scroll down a screen-and-a-half so they didn't seem very big either.

For the ladies 50k there were 9 in the skate and 3 in the classic.

But the 12k must be where the big crowd is. I neglected to look at them! Hmm, I just glanced at them and they're 2 screens each. It still doesn't give a "big event" feel but I guess it adds up!

I suppose a Vasa official would know what the numbers have done over the years.

It still seems like a contrast to the Lumberjack 100 mtbike race, a May event which fills up in January---but I don't know what their limit is.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
mmuha Posted - Feb 15 2009 : 4:14:49 PM
Guess the American Ski Marathon Series designation gets them the extra 30 skiers????
mmuha Posted - Feb 15 2009 : 3:31:57 PM
Just did the numbers: The Vasa had 453 skiers; the White Pine Stampede was only slightly smaller at 423.

I was quite surprised...
JeffOYB Posted - Feb 15 2009 : 1:18:02 PM
It's amazing to me what Kaye Kraypohl has done.

Here the Vasa has just a few women racing. Heck, it doesn't even have that many men anymore.

But Kaye gets like a thousand women to turn up to do her special lady's day ski event on the same Vasa trail. That's the ticket! Now just do something to get the men to turn out, too. And you have a revived ski scene all over again!

http://marquettemonthly.com/mm_archive_folder/04/0401/arts.html

It's really something how limiting the idea of racing has become when it used to be so big. But it's not just racing, it's SKI racing. Lots of other race/sport types are doing very well.

The ski field is at a high level but it's thin. The top 20 from 1980 are still racing...but the back 500 have dropped off. Did they have a bad time? I can't imagine that. What else are they doing all winter? I think they're still out skiing somewhere, coz when Kaye dangles the chocolate the ladies come out of the woodwork by the HUNDREDS. There are just as many guy skiers out there who are taking a pass on the race side.

Kaye of course is a marketing whiz but she's spinning "air", too. Her mentioned fear of frostbike isn't what keeps ladies off the trails. Neither is fear of falling or fear of lycra nor is it high entry fees. I just can't put my finger on it. I suppose it's just an image thing. No substance, just vibe. When you get the right combination everyone comes out of the woodwork.

Outdoor events are HUGE right now. Iceman has THOUSANDS. Marquette's events have THOUSANDS. Yet the Vasa only gets a few diehards. When it's still *THE* winter anchor event for the TC area. I mean, stores, towns and hotels still put welcome banners out. For 100 skiers. Whew.

When you think of it, the "ladies only" format of the Women's Tour is a bit awkward socially. Gender-based exclusion seems a bit off, passe', 80's-style. Yet it works.

It seems especially awkward when the "everyone together" side isn't thriving for men. The men need recruiting, too!

Maybe outdoor activities and "sports" are more like boxing than I appreciate. That is, guys and gals don't mix. ? Hard to imagine.

In group/club cycling there is a good mix of guys'n'gals. In racing, maybe it goes back to 90% guys. In cycling there are also "women's only" events/clinics. But it seems a bit more OK there since the guy side isn't seen as suffering so much. Altho, I would say the ladies respond to a more cultural approach and that the "men's side" is in fact at risk for a lack of culture. That is, both women and men would equally benefit from leadership AWAY from the robo-dude approach. Culture obviously can include skill.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
32degrees Posted - Feb 15 2009 : 12:07:20 PM
results up at http://results.active.com/pages/page.jsp?eventLinkageID=80630

from what i heard the course was great, good snow, no ice !

http://outsideinmi.blogspot.com/

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000