Nordic Ski Racer - cross country ski racing    

Home  |  Racing |  Training |  Rollerskiing |  Trails |  Weather |  Equipment |  Forums |  Photos & Video

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Forums
 Michigan Cup Forum
 Flex = Prosperity in Cup schedule?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JeffOYB Posted - Nov 22 2013 : 10:32:50 AM
If flex were built into the MI CUP ski race schedule, would that help? Maybe instead of having tenuous legacy events scheduled into every weekend of the winter the Cup needs to bite the bullet and cut the line-up in half and give each race TWO weekends: one prime and one rain-date. It's hard enough for a big race to be postponed a week, but what has happened is that entire race projects, with all their overhead, get outright cancelled willynilly depending on weather ...and then the next weekend a different race happens if there's snow. (Often if we lose out one weekend then have snow for the next.) Right now, because of the risk, EVERY event ends up functioning at a lower level relative to where it'd be if they could be weather-confident. (Sure, events are "pro" now -- all praises to everyone putting out the kind of work needed! -- but we'd see a big natural step up if there wasn't risk of total cancellation.) Yeah, on the racer-side it's hard to do "plan-cancel-plan" travel, but that's what is happening already! Whattaya think? ...Fewer but stronger races compared to a full-but-shaky lineup. Or, has everyone already adapted to weather-risk and it's an old passe' topic? I wouldn't know, I'm outta the loop. Anyway, that's how we handle the MI BC Series -- each event has 2 dates. We have 3 events a season and have had one cancellation in 3 years. An 8-outta-9 success rate with today's weather pattern. Adapt and thrive...

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JeffOYB Posted - Nov 26 2013 : 08:37:24 AM
Another way to build weather-tolerance into the system is that usually when the state suffers a melt there is still some sector that still has snow. So if there were more events in more sectors then it would be harder to have weekends be totally ruined by a melt.

That would mean going back to the "more but smaller" model. And, who knows, maybe that model -- used in the early 80's when XC was really big -- was part of the reason why skiing was so strong back then? More events greatly increased the LOCALNESS factor.

For smaller venues to host events they would have to be cheap/easy to host. We might have to go back to singletrack-grooming in some cases. Snowmobile-pulled devices. Or maybe a Piston Bully could be put on a trailer and driven here'n'there to prep courses.

--Jeff Potter
OutYourBackdoor.com

NordicSkiRacer.com Forums © 2004-14 NordicSkiRacer.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000